A Brief History
In 1843 The Kings Arms public house was established by a local business owner by the name of Richard Markhall.
Markhall, a local beer seller owned the land on which the pub proudly stands whilst operating a beer shop just a few yards away from the now public house.
In 1839, the land on which the pub was built was indicated as ‘garden land’ for the property it was adjacent to, all of which was owned by Richard Markhall who decided to build the pub in what appeared to be his garden (some may say this was the ultimate ‘man cave’).
Records show that in 1862 the road which winds between The Kings Arms and ASDA superstore was named ‘Markhalls Lane’ a suggestion that Richard Markhall owned more beyond just the beer shop, public house and land associated.
In the early 20th century a local brewing company by the name of ‘Reffells’ proudly emblazoned its name above the pub as owners. Reffells was a Bexley based brewer who acquired a small portfolio of pubs all in the local area, operating and brewing under master brewer ‘Percy Waistell’ from 1904.
In June 1956 ‘Reffells’ was purchased by Courage and Barclay ending its relationship with the Reffells name, with the brewery closing its doors the following year.
The Kings Arms still stands proudly in the same position in the town centre that Richard Markhall first erected it from what was then just his garden.